Recording music can involve many technical, administrative and creative tasks, including, but not limited to;
- Communicating with technical people
- Budget & schedule planning
- Assisting with pre-production, where musical ideas are tried & rehearsed before recording
- Selecting and booking musicians
- Managing recording sessions
- Coaching artist & musicians
- Recording, mixing, mastering and post production
- Helping stuck projects back on track to completion
- Providing musical ideas and inspiration when required
Artists often find these “behind the scenes” jobs stressful and time consuming, getting in the way of making music. But I’ve always loved them, and enjoy helping artists keep focus on their art.
I’ve produced music from single songs to entire albums, and have years of experience as a recording, mixing and mastering engineer. I can also record musicians for other people’s projects – useful with loud instruments like drums, or where excellent acoustics are required, such as vocals or fiddle.
The debut album by Broken Windows is a fantastic collection of songs written by Liz Jones and performed by some of the best musicians in Edinburgh. I feel privileged to have been given the opportunity to produce it, and can’t wait for other people to get the same opportunity to hear and enjoy it as much as I do!read more