The Art of the Music Arranger
One of my most powerful childhood memories is hearing ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’, which made me flee behind the couch in terror! This incredible song by The Beatles and George Martin is a wonderful showcase of the way a music arranger can shape sound, and the dramatic emotional depth it brings.
As a music arranger, I can add dimension to your music through form, instrument choice, style, melody, hooks, harmony and rhythm, helping your music find its true voice. There are limitless possibilities; working with me, potential scenarios include;
- Creating a simple accompaniment for your own song
- Adding instrumental sections such as strings or brass to help your band stand out from the crowd.
- Arranging your band’s songs for recording or playing live.
- Re-interpreting music from one style to another
- Re-arranging music so it can be played by larger or smaller ensembles or by different instruments.
- Co-writing – where you have parts of a song, but need some inspiration and assistance putting it all together.
Clients often suggest a genre that suits their music, or send existing pieces that inspire them. Other times they trust me to interpret for them. I can create arrangements with realistic software instruments in my own studio, write sheet music for musicians & backing singers, and provide musical direction at concerts and studio sessions.
With my music production skills, studio and network of professional musicians I can take your arrangement all the way from sheet music to a finished recording. My rates depend on the amount of music required and its complexity. Please contact me to discuss any projects you’d like me to contribute to.
Throughout my career I’ve been music arranger for a huge variety of styles, including pop, rock, soul, folk, classical, swing, jazz, and blues, as well as some that defy description. Scroll down this page to hear some examples of my recent work. Of course, I’m always open to new sounds as well!
– A new arrangement for Sheila K Cameron
Piano & strings added to an acoustic song already recorded by Sheila.read more
Software instruments can provide a realistic & cost effective alternative to real musicians. Read on to discover how I used them on “Eileen”, an emotive piece of music recorded entirely with software instruments.read more